Designed in conjunction with the Constitution-class ships, the Helena-class cruisers were almost the equal of their more famous brethren. Larger, equipped with the most powerful weapons and capable of better speeds than any previous starship class, these ships attained fame almost overnight as 'the pride of the Federation fleet.' However, public opinion soon swayed toward the Constitution-class ships following the rescue of the S.S. Rosenberg after the small colony ship was disabled by an ion storm. The nine Helena-class ships served Starfleet for several decades, first as explorers, then as patrol ships and finally as trainers and cargo vessels. The last of these ships was decommissioned in 2304, sixty-three years after it was commissioned.
The U.S.S. Scorpio (NCC-1683) was commissioned in 2244, and was the fourth Helena-class ship to join the Fleet. Before her retirement in 2295, the Scorpio performed three three-year exploration missions, patrolled both the Romulan and Klingon Neutral Zones, fought off Orion raiders and trained six classes of Academy cadets following the destruction of the U.S.S. Enterprise in 2285. The Scorpio is currently mothballed at the Inkestra VI Storage Facility.
Click here to return to CAIN's Domain.
This page was created on September 1, 2000.
Last modified on February 10, 2005.